The easiest way to work with SharePoint files is through your OneDrive for Business app. It allows you to sync your folders and use them even when you are not connected to the internet. But there are many situations where this does not work, such as space limitations on your laptop or tablet, or when the library exceeds the OneDrive sync limitations. In these cases, you can map your SharePoint library just like any other shared folder on a network.
There are four steps necessary to map the folder and then set the credentials so that you do not have to login again:
- Login to SharePoint using Internet Explorer
- Map a folder to a SharePoint library
- Add the site to Trusted Sites
- Add your login to the Credentials Manager
Let us explore each step further so you can successfully map your SharePoint Online Library.
Login to SharePoint using Internet Explorer
These days, everyone’s favorite browser is probably something other than Internet Explorer. However, it still serves a purpose. You must use Internet Explorer for this process to work.
1. Login to SharePoint using Internet Explorer.
2. Click or enter your user id to move to the login screen.
3. Enter your password and be sure to click the “keep me signed in” checkbox.
Map a Folder to a SharePoint Library
1. Next we will Map the SharePoint folders like a network drive. Open File Explorer by right clicking the Start button in the lower left corner and selecting File Explorer.
2. Next click on This PC.
3. Next, click Map network drive.
4. Click Connect to a Web site that you can use to store your documents and pictures. On Welcome to the Add Network Location Wizard, click Next.
5. Select the Choose a custom network location link. Click Next.
6. Next on the Specify the location of your website screen enter the address to the SharePoint document library. Type the following into the address field:
https://yourcompanyname.sharepoint.com/YourSharePointFolder. Click Next.
NOTE: Your SharePoint Folder is used in this example as a placeholder for whatever your SharePoint Folder is called. You must map to an existing folder.
7. Now you will name the mapped drive.
8. Type a name for this network location, you can name it whatever you like. In this example we named it “Client – Active”. We suggest using a name that is descriptive of that library because in the future you may want to repeat this process with other folders. Click Next.
9. Your drive is now mapped. Click Finish.
You have now added the Clients – Active folder under the Computer icon in your Explorer. You can repeat the above steps to also add additional folders as needed.
Add the Site to Trusted Sites
1. Now we need to add the site to the trusted sites. Using Internet Explorer, locate the Tools menu and the Internet Options.
2. Go the Security tab, select Trusted Sites and then click Sites.
3. Enter the URL for the site, click Add, and check the Require server verification checkbox, and click Close.
4. Next tap the Custom Level button and scroll all the way to bottom of the list.
5. Now scroll to the bottom and find User Authentication 🡪 Logon and select Automatic logon with current username and password. Click OK.
Add Your Login to the Credentials Manager
1. Locate the Credential Manager control panel. On Windows 10, just search and it should come up with just a few letters typed.
2. Open the Credential Manager and select Windows Credentials.
3. Scroll down to the Generic Credentials section and click Add a generic credential.
4. Enter your SharePoint site, your username (email address) for Office 365, and your password.
5. Now, Restart your computer.
This process may seem like a lot of work, but it will prevent you from having to login every single time you go to SharePoint. Long term, it is a time saver.
Have more SharePoint or OneDrive questions?
At The Bauen Group, we focus on the unique needs of small to midsize businesses. We understand the challenges businesses face when growing out of old technologies and specialize in finding new solutions to increase your efficiency and profitability. Our team of specialists have years of experience helping companies like yours overcome technology difficulties and other IT issues. We focus on building relationships with our clients, creating the right solutions that will take them to the next level.
We are Microsoft experts and experienced B2B technology providers who are dedicated to helping our customers get the maximum return on their technology investments. We know that there is a world of possibility and potential in Microsoft Power BI. From paginated pages to customer visualizations, our experts can help you implement, adopt, and use the business intelligence solution, so that you get real results and a better return on investment for your business today.
If you want to find out more about the key benefits of paginated reports in Power BI or further insights into any of your Microsoft investments, get in touch with our team today.