At first glance, OneDrive for Business and SharePoint may seem similar. It can be challenging to discern which platform is best suited for your small business. Although both Microsoft platforms started out serving two very different functions, they have come to encompass many overlapping features that can be beneficial for small businesses.
Let us explore OneDrive vs. SharePoint and which is ultimately best for your small business.
Exploring OneDrive for Your Small Business
OneDrive started as a program very similar to DropBox. It was a place you could store documents, photos, videos, and other files, and you still can. But as the need for a dynamic file-sharing solution for businesses grew, Microsoft developed OneDrive for Business.
OneDrive for Business allows companies to take advantage of cloud-based convenience. It makes managing your work files, sharing relevant documents, and collaborating with your team from any device easy using the familiar Microsoft programs you already know.
OneDrive for Small Business Benefits & Features
- Microsoft’s award-winning security allows users to back up and protect files seamlessly with OneDrive for Business. Your team can quickly recover data from malicious attacks or accidental deletes while administrators can manage security policies, keeping your information safe always.
- Your team can store, access, and discover your individual and shared work files in Microsoft 365, including Microsoft Teams, from all devices. Offline edits will automatically sync the next time you have access to an internet connection.
- Seamlessly collaborate, work faster, and work smarter with those inside and outside your organization. Users can securely share files in real-time using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on the web, mobile, or desktop application.
Exploring SharePoint for Your Small Business
SharePoint started as a collaboration tool, and although it now has taken on many file sharing features, it still has many unique functions. SharePoint Team Sites function as your team’s content center. It is a place where everyone you collaborate with can come together in real-time to create and share content using familiar Microsoft Office tools.
SharePoint for Small Business Benefits & Features
- Appropriately protecting your small business is crucial. SharePoint offers best-in-class security. With over a decade of experience building software and online services, SharePoint developers know the importance of security and industry-specific compliance. Users can increase productivity and efficiency without compromising cloud security and compliance requirements.
- By creating a SharePoint site, users can quickly create and customize client portals that can ease collaboration, manage projects, share documents, distribute reports, and more.
- Companies can implement employee dashboards on their site where employees can sign in on a company-branded page that can feature news, announcements, and notices. Additionally, you can use dashboards to store and share all the documents your team needs, reminders, and notifications of coworkers’ availability.
- With SharePoint’s robust content management combined with valuable connections and conversation, business leaders can maximize their team’s velocity of knowledge.
OneDrive for Business Vs. SharePoint, Which is Right for My Small Business
Both. But for different reasons.
Small businesses looking to create project-based management sites, human resources portals, or client portals will find SharePoint to be a great solution. On the other hand, OneDrive for Business is better suited for storage and one-off sharing. Both components are cloud-based, giving you the ability to sync files to your device and run your small business from anywhere.
Balancing a small business budget can be challenging at best and can be the determining factor when choosing the right solution. The good news is that OneDrive for Business and SharePoint both have flexible pricing options unique to your company’s needs.
Growing Out of Old Technologies and Finding New Solutions
At The Bauen Group, we focus on the unique needs of small to midsize businesses. We understand the challenges companies face when growing out of old technologies and specialize in finding new solutions to increase efficiency and profitability. Our team of small business IT specialists have years of experience in helping companies like yours overcome challenges. We focus on building relationships with our clients to understand their IT and business needs better, creating an inventive solution that will help get you to the next level.